3 Ways to Get Emancipated

Legal Adviser March 15, 2018
0 people like this post
a female teenager

a female teenagerGuardians and parents are legally responsible for looking after their children until they reach the age of maturity. However, kids can become legal adults by becoming emancipated. Emancipation is not something that your child can do simply because they are not happy at home; they must be self-supporting and surviving through their own means.

Even though state laws regarding emancipation of a minor vary, a family law attorney in Denver, CO cites some ways in which a child can be freed from parental control.

Military Enlistment

A child can become emancipated through enlisting in the United States Armed Forces. However, military policies require an enlistee to at least have a GED or high school diploma. Due to these policies, most minors become emancipated through enlistment when they are at least seventeen or eighteen years old.

While a child can be enlisted in the army without parental consent in some states, enlistees from other states, such as Colorado, need permission from their guardian or parent.

Courts Permission

A minor can be emancipated through a court order. Normally, a child has to be at least sixteen for the court to allow emancipation. A court might, however, grant emancipation if a minor who is below 16 proves that doing so would be in his or her best interest. The court also bases the decision on other factors, such as the financial stability of the child, the ability to make decisions, whether the minor has a diploma or goes to school, and if they live independently.


Minors can achieve emancipation when they get married. But, they must comply with state marriage requirements before the wedding. They must also attain court approval and the minimum age set by the state. In Colorado, you have to be at least sixteen and have your parents’ permission to get married.

In the modern age, there are times when a minor is better off making decisions on their own. Emancipation applies to minors who are yet to reach the age of majority, which can either be 18 or 19 depending on your state.

Category: Smart Answers
  • 0
  • 484